Have you hit the Starbucks line to get your first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season? It’s no secret that the PSL is many people’s favorite thing about fall, but did you know that the grande size at Starbucks has more than 50 grams of sugar plus many additives? Read on to learn how to make your own Pumpkin Spice Latte at home (without the added additives and excess sugar).
What ingredients you’ll need for a Pumpkin Spice Latte:
- 8 ounces of coffee or 1-2 shots of espresso
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or nut milk of choice)
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons of sweetener of choice (honey, agave, maple syrup)
After reviewing the ingredients for a healthier Pumpkin Spice Latte, you’ll see there’s only a handful of ingredients and most of it you’ll already have at home. The can of pumpkin puree will last you awhile, so make sure to store it in the refrigerator so you can enjoy PSLs all week long.
How to make a Pumpkin Spice Latte:
- In a small sauce pan, mix together the nut milk and pumpkin puree. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, spices and sweetener.
- Pour your coffee into your mug of choice.
- Blend the sauce pan ingredients with a hand held frother or blender. This will end up as a foamy milk mixture.
- Pour the foamy milk mixture on top of your coffee and garnish with extra cinnamon.
If you’re a lover of iced coffee, this PSL recipe is great chilled too over ice. And if you’re really feeling in the fall mood, give our pumpkin workout and pumpkin protein smoothie recipe a try. Happy fall!