Summer has arrived and it comes with sunny skies and considerably warmer temperatures. School is out and everyone is looking forward to fun vacation plans. As important as it is to have a good time, too often we forget to take care of our bodies during the hot summer months. Staying hydrated this summer will help everyone stay happy and healthy while enjoying their adventures.
Here are some tips to help you out!
- Start each day with a glass of water. Drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning helps your body re-hydrate and jump starts your metabolism. This simple practice will get the body ready for activities for the day after being asleep for several hours
- Invest in a reusable water bottle and take it everywhere with you. This practice is good for your body and the planet. Reusable bottles are durable and reduce a major pollutant; plastic waste. Make it a goal or challenge to see how many times you can refill it throughout the day.
- Choose water instead of soda or other drinks. Since our bodies are made up largely of water, putting water into them will produce the best results. Water has zero calories in comparison to the high-sugar beverages too often used for hydration purposes. While other beverages can help you stay hydrated, water is the best option for hydration, body function and overall health.
- Try infused waters. Many people do not drink water because of the taste or lack of flavor. There are many combinations of fruit and herbs that can be added to water. These additions can contain health benefits and great taste. Add strawberries, basil and lemon to your water for a refreshing flavor boost that helps keep you hydrated.
- Snack on produce with high water content. Snacks like watermelon, cucumber, strawberries, celery or bell peppers have high water content. These and many other fruits and vegetables have more than 90% water in addition to their many nutrients and can help with your water intake. Reach for these in addition to your glass of water to help you hydrate and stay healthy this summer.
These five tips can help everyone to have an enjoyable and healthy summer. There are so many benefits to drinking water and being hydrated, such as: regulated blood pressure, more effective metabolism, improved brain and heart health, better cognitive function, and body temperature regulation. Staying hydrated will allow everyone to have the best summer possible. In the end you’ll be happy knowing that you not only had the best summer, but also took great care of your body.
If you have any further questions about ways to stay healthy for the summer then get in contact with a FAST coach today!